$6.8M was the ask for the 1953 Wiley House made up of a single glass-and-wood rectangular pavilion that’s perched on top of a rectangular box made of stone and concrete. Johnson built the house at a time when the midcentury movement was booming, especially in New Canaan. While more and more architects were beginning to build minimal structures that fit into the surrounding nature, his second glass pavilion-style house was born. Unlike the Glass House, which has become a cherished relic, this home has endured through multiple life stages and has had to adapt over time.
Johnson chose the 6-acre plot of land himself and was particularly fond of the natural slopes of the site, which is surrounded by hickory trees.”
Photo credit: Dwell Magazine.